HA14 Task 10 - Evaluation

Gain feedback on your animation and write an evaluation of your project. Use your blog posts to identify the strengths and weaknesses of your design process. Try to establish whether or not your finished product has achieved the aim of the project. Take into consideration anything said by interested parties.


Generate outline ideas for 3D animation working within appropriate conventions and with some assistance.
Generate detailed ideas for 3D animation showing some imagination and with only occasional assistance.
Generate thoroughly thought through ideas for 3D animation showing creativity and flair and working independently to professional expectations.
Create 3D animation following industry practice, working within appropriate conventions and with some assistance.
Create 3D animation to a good technical standard following industry practice, showing some imagination and with only occasional assistance.
Create 3D animation to a technical quality that reflects near-professional standards following industry practice, showing creativity and flair and working independently to professional expectations.
---

Feedback

I gained a bit of feedback on my models through Facebook's individual responses received either from a group or privately. I didn't do any survey, since tasks didn't look like they required one.

Daniel (boyfriend)
"They're mostly very good, the fall on the jumps is too fast though, and you could make more of the body move in the running animation. The lunging one is the best though, since all the arms move as they naturally would."

Krzysztof
"Nietoperz wyszedł fajnie, tylko nie wiem co się działo z tą krową. A modele wygladają bardzo starannie."
(Translation from Polish)
The bat came out really good, I just don't know what happened to this cow. And models look very neatly done.

Anna
"Nie jestem ekspertem w animacji czy-de [3D - its a pun], ale wydaje mi się, że w animacji skoku marionetka chyba powinna przez chwilę wisieć w powietrzu zanim spadnie. A przynajmniej tak myślę, chociaż to podejrzenie bazuję na animacji 2D, która jednak często jest karykaturyzowana, więc to tylko takie przypuszczenie z mojej strony xD"
(Translation from Polish)
I am not an expert in 3D animation, but I think that in the jumping animation the puppet probably should hang in the air for a while before it'll fall down. At least that's what I think, though that suspicion I base on 2D animation which often is caricatured, so it's just the assumption from my side xD

Sandra
"Nie jestem pewna czy mam rację, ale szczególnie w dwóch pierwszych animacjach te pajęcze nóżki czy co to mogłyby luźniej latać."
(Translation from Polish)
I'm not sure if I'm right, but especially in those 2 first animations these spider legs (or whatever they are) could have moved more loosely.

Outcome
Some of the responses say that with jumping animation I should hang the puppet for a longer bit in the air and make it fall slower. I agree with that and I should pay more attention to such details and look out for more references while animating.

Others noticed that the legs don't always have a freedom of movement like normal puppets would have and I know that but couldn't implement them since I had to hurry while making the animations.

Strengths

I believe my strengths were mostly concentrated in imagining and thinking on how the 5-legged ad 5-armed creature may move while performing all of these actions. I didn't have problems with deducting how legs and arms should move for it to look convincing for the viewer. Same applies for the practice models, though I had the videos on how to animate a bat and I forgot about the rotation mechanics for the digger.

I also found it quite easy to build the puppet properly, apply the skelegons to it as well as weight maps and the textures as well as colouring and classifying the bones. Another thing I thing I was good at is deducting the time for each of the moments within the animation.

Once all frames were rendered I had no problem to merge them into a video as well as separate them. Making the storyboards wasn't an issue either.

For research-related issues I didn't have problems with finding relevant information, though I didn't write much because of little time left (read below).

Weaknesses

My main weakness were rotation coordinates for each of the arms and legs. Since they all were attached to a single bone and the number of limbs was odd not even, it made it difficult and slightly confusing to rotate each of the upper parts (thighs and shoulders). In short all rotation points of heading, bank and pitch were facing the exact same directions when they shouldn't (except for blue bones).

Every time I finished animation I had to ask for help with rendering because for some reason I can't remember how to set it up. 

When it comes to schedule as well as time management, I wasn't following it the way I should (moreover, I just started making the schedule in the last week to be honest) and because of that I didn't realise how little time I have and how many tasks are left for me to do. As a consequence I had to take a re-submission for 10 more days.

Aim Achieved?

I think the aim was achieved after all (and forgetting the amount of time that's left). During the re-submission time I done most of the tasks and they are completed at least for a Pass (which is better than a failure, but that's my fault really). All the animations were finished as well and to the standard I wanted them to be.

I think I really should watch how much time I have for a project and where the deadline is, because it's a bit embarrassing to apply for re-submissions. This time however I did pay importance of finishing all the tasks instead of spending a lot of time on one and then another, because some could be neglected.

finally I recommend not to have speakers/headphones on full while watching the final animation since at the end there is some weird sound that's really annoying and I had no idea it is there.